This is a list of resources that may be helpful in getting started with Farmers Markets. Click on the links below for more information about the Market. In addition, see Insurance information below...
Farm Direct Marketing information including direct sales at farmers markets, roadside stands, farm, agri-tourism, on-farm events, direct marketing for consumers, and requirements for specific commodities
Oregon Farm Direct Nutrition Program
(Seniors and WIC) and WIC Fruit & Veggie Vouchers
ALL VENDORS are required to carry a minimum of $1 million dollar liability policy. This is to protect the vendor and the market as a whole. Unfortunately, the market liability insurance cannot extend protection to vendor incident or products.
Some vendors are simply adding coverage onto their homeowners’ policy; however, many carriers do not allow that. Prices will vary depending upon your product. For those with arts & crafts, the price should be no more than $350 per year.
- Product Liability – covers claims related to the product the producer sells (i.e. typically includes fruits, vegetables, eggs, soaps, lotions, processed/prepared food, etc.).
- General Liability – covers claims that are not product related (i.e. shopper sues you because they trip over the bungee cord that ties down your tent and needs stitches).
Here are a few tips when shopping for coverage – you are encouraged to shop around and be very clear with the person you are speaking with about what products you want covered.
- Does the policy cover temporary structure (tent)?
- What types of products/incidents are covered?
- For example: a guest trips and falls in your booth. What kind of medical coverage do you have?
- Or: on a windy day your booth blows over into another vendor’s booth and damages their product. Is there coverage for their product?
- What types of incidents are not covered?
- Does my liability coverage extend to only 1 market, or to all markets I attend?
- Does my coverage extend to my employees & representatives and their actions?
Below is a list of resources other vendors have shared with us:
Artist and Craft Show Liability www.actinsurance.com
Pacific Risk Management 503-399-2100 Raelle DuBois
Farmers Insurance 503-399-0055 Hollie Vanek
503-393-6612 Brandon Bay
Huggins Insurance 503-585-2211
Mutual of Enumclaw 503-981-3841 Brown Insurance Agency
State Farm Insurance (Keizer) 503-390-1069 Cari Cook